Monday, March 23, 2009

A Game

I want to do something a little different this week--instead of me just talking until I've finished my thought (as I do most weeks), everyday I'm going to post a quote by a writer. The quote will be from somewhere where (I think) that writer was talking about writing. Then, next week, I will reveal each writer on the day I posted their quote. Monday will be revealed on Monday, Tuesday will be revealed on Tuesday, and so on. Feel free to take a guess at the mystery author, or post a comment about what they said, what kind of writer you think they are, from what time period, or just whatever pops into your head--BUT NO GOOGLING THE QUOTES that is obviously cheating. This game you may be able to cheat at (I admit to a few design flaws) but writing and reading are two things you can never cheat at, so just get in the habit of playing it straight. 

I will have something to say about the similar mysteries in writing and reading, but, for now, I am going to kick it off with my first quote--and oh, this won't be true of every quote, but this first one happens to rhyme with the author's name. 

"I don't take notes; I don't outline, I don't do anything like that. I just flail away at the goddamn thing."

See you tomorrow--

   

3 comments:

  1. My first reaction is to say this has to be a poet. No novelist could ever work this way. But then...could it be Stephen King? Hundreds and hundreds of pages of flailing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how far we've come from edgar allen poe

    ReplyDelete